On 9/17/2019 3:49 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 3:01 AM smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl <mailto:smi...@zonnet.nl>> wrote:

    On 17-09-2019 13:32, Bruce Kellett wrote:

    > So why do all Everettians have to add so many additional assumptions
    > in order to pretend to get out the Born rule?

    Simply assuming the special case of the Born rule that measuring a
    system in an eigenstate of an observable will yield the eigenvalue of
    that eigenstate with  certainty, is enough.

Where did the concept of an observable as an operator in a Hilbert space, and the idea that measurements correspond to the action of that observable  on the state, giving a result that is the eigenvalue corresponding to the projected eigenvector, come from?

The operator should be expressible in terms of the Hamiltonian of the measuring instrument and its interaction with the system.  But nobody tries to write down the Hamiltonian of the instrument; they just look at what it's supposed to measure classically and then they write an abstract operator that does that.

Brent

As I said, you have to build an awful lot into the Schrodinger equation in order to get out quantum physics. The Born rule is one of the hardest things to get. And no one has yet produced a convincing argument that the Born rule can be derived in Everettian QM.

Bruce

    You can consider the case of
    repeatedly preparing and measuring N copies of a system and then
    consider the observable that corresponds to the frequency
    distribution
    of the individual measurement outcomes in the limit of N to infinity.
    The special case of the Born rule applied to observable for the
    frequency distribution then implies the general Born rule.

    Saibal

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAFxXSLTDkPX9u6j5cWV_coDm%2BackwBGD5_7CTYvVCvJa4upPUQ%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAFxXSLTDkPX9u6j5cWV_coDm%2BackwBGD5_7CTYvVCvJa4upPUQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.