On Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 11:46:35 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 10:37 AM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
> everyth...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> On 9/17/2019 3:49 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 3:01 AM smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl <javascript:>>
>> wrote:

>>> Simply assuming the special case of the Born rule that measuring a
>>> system in an eigenstate of an observable will yield the eigenvalue of
>>> that eigenstate with  certainty, is enough.
>>

>> Where did the concept of an observable as an operator in a Hilbert space,
>> and the idea that measurements correspond to the action of that observable
>>  on the state, giving a result that is the eigenvalue corresponding to the
>> projected eigenvector, come from?
>>

>> The operator should be expressible in terms of the Hamiltonian of the
>> measuring instrument and its interaction with the system.  But nobody tries
>> to write down the Hamiltonian of the instrument; they just look at what
>> it's supposed to measure classically and then they write an abstract
>> operator that does that.
>>

> So it is something added to the supposed "minimal QM" of the Schrodinger
> equation. The eigenvector/eigenvalue link is pretty well established. Zurek
> has a good argument to derive this.
>
> Bruce

The Zurek (QD) theory is a very good (in my view) framework to consider. A
useful antidote to MWI.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1807.02092

*Quantum Theory of the Classical: Quantum Jumps, Born's Rule, and Objective
Classical Reality via Quantum Darwinism*

Wojciech Hubert Zurek
(Submitted on 5 Jul 2018)

Emergence of the classical world from the quantum substrate of our Universe
is a long-standing conundrum. I describe three insights into the transition
from quantum to classical that are based on the recognition of the role of
the environment. I begin with derivation of preferred sets of states that
help define what exists - our everyday classical reality. They emerge as a
result of breaking of the unitary symmetry of the Hilbert space which
happens when the unitarity of quantum evolutions encounters nonlinearities
inherent in the process of amplification - of replicating information. This
derivation is accomplished without the usual tools of decoherence, and
accounts for the appearance of quantum jumps and emergence of preferred
pointer states consistent with those obtained via environment-induced
superselection, or einselection. Pointer states obtained this way determine
what can happen - define events - without appealing to Born's rule for
probabilities. Therefore, Born's rule can be now deduced from the
entanglement-assisted invariance, or envariance - a symmetry of entangled
quantum states. With probabilities at hand one also gains new insights into
foundations of quantum statistical physics. Moreover, one can now analyze
information flows responsible for decoherence. These information flows
explain how perception of objective classical reality arises from the
quantum substrate: Effective amplification they represent accounts for the
objective existence of the einselected states of macroscopic quantum
systems through the redundancy of pointer state records in their
environment - through quantum Darwinism.

@philipthrift