On Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 2:38:47 AM UTC-5, Philip Thrift wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 22, 2019 at 8:41:07 PM UTC-5, Lawrence Crowell wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday, October 22, 2019 at 1:42:20 PM UTC-5, Philip Thrift wrote:

>>> Empiricism cannot say whether it's (all) matter, consciousness, or
>>> numbers.
>>>
>>> What makes the latter two dismissible is they do not explain what we
>>> know of our own consciousness - that it is finite in time and bounded in
>>> space.
>>>
>>> @philipthrift
>>>

>> I am not saying "if I kick it it kicks back" means everything is matter.
>> In fact the total mass-energy of the universe is zero. However, it does
>> lend weight to the proposition there exists at least locally matter that is
>> external to mind. Matter does not conform to what my mind might otherwise
>> desire things to be. Statistical mechanics even shows that what we see as a
>> desired order is just one rather small macrostate in the energy surface of
>> phase space. Besides, our conscious lives are pretty fragile in the face of
>> things.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdf5EXo6I68
>>
>> LC
>>

> Matter does not conform to what my mind might otherwise desire things to
> be.
>

> "How did we ever get the notion of the mind as something distinct from the
> body? Why did this bad idea enter our culture?"
>
> https://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/april13/rorty-041305.html
>
> @philipthrift

I am not arguing for a dualism. If there is dualism between matter and
mind, then it appears that matter is more pervasive. If the two are the
same in a monism, or mind a manifestation of matter, then mind is most
likely a subset of matter. Arguing over this is really a sort of
metaphysics that is not much more fruitful than the proverbial argument
over the number of angels dancing on the head of a pin.

LC