On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 at 04:25, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 12:51 PM Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> *>>> this is how people will talk. “I went through duplication, and I woke

>>> the English language will need to change so much that what people will say
>>> would be incomprehensible to an English speaker in the early 21st century
>>> when self duplication was anything but commonplace.
>>>

>> *> People will tell those who have not yet had the experience: “you will*
>> [,,,]
>>

> I don't think so. When self duplication becomes commonplace I don't think
> the word "you" will exist anymore.
>
> *> What do you think they will say?*
>>

> "I" think that when something that would now take paragraphs to explain
> becomes intuitively obvious to everybody on a gut level people will say
> things in a language whose grammar is totally different from anything
> spoken by anybody living today. Early 21st-century speech will seem very
> archaic and naïve to them.

There would be social and legal changes, but people's psychology, developed
over at least hundreds of thousands of years, would remain the same. I am
quite sure that people would say things like: "I walked into the
duplication room, fell asleep, then woke up in a different room. I was told
I would end up in New York or London, and I ended up in London. I then
talked to a copy of me who was in New York, and knew everything about me
until the point I walked into the duplicator." If you think they would say
something different, try to give an example.