On Monday, October 12, 2020 at 3:17:34 PM UTC-5 Brent wrote:

> On 10/12/2020 3:15 AM, Lawrence Crowell wrote:
>
> I would say in general with a machine you can see the seems, bolts and
> rivets while a biological system you don't. You can turn off a machine, but
> a biological system does not turn back on. Biological systems are
> spontaneous and will act accordingly. A computer with no input just sits
> there.
>

> That raises an interesting question though.  Will a brain with no input
> function?  I've heard that in experiments using sensory deprivation tanks,
> people's thought tend to go into a loop; even though the sensory input
> isn't strictly zero.
>
> Brent

People in sensory deprivation tanks at some point start entering
hallucinations. Think of the standard computer, such as one's desktop or
laptop, if you boot it up it then just sits there. So long as the power is
up it will just stay there in this resting state.

I have thought there is some possible intellectual revolution with
understanding how brains work. There seems in ways to a a more general
principle for how states in network systems evolve.

LC