> On 22 Dec 2020, at 05:03, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Science doesn't deal in proofs, only in evidence.  And the reality it deals
> with is that which can be tested...i.e. is not "underlying”.

I sort of agree. To believe in an underlying reality, or in a fundamental
reality is not physical science, but theology. But we can do theology with a
scientific attitude, and find criteria to test the existence and nature of the
underlying reality that we postulate.

Today, when we do that, the evidences are in favour of Plato, not in favour of
Aristotle.
We can say that we have looked carefully to Nature, and that the evidence is
that Nature is not an ontological, “underlying” reality, but the emergent
product from the arithmetical relations.

Unfortunately, many people confuse the many evidences for the physical reality
with an evidence that the physical reality would the underlying reality. That
move *is* Aristotle postulation or act of faith. It works well for many
applications, but is not sustained, neither by facts, nor by most of our
current theories, which, like Darwin Evolution, relies on the Mechanist
assumption (even implicitly on the Church-Turing these part of Mechanism).

Bruno