> On 19 Dec 2020, at 11:18, Alan Grayson <agrayson2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Saturday, December 19, 2020 at 1:30:17 AM UTC-7 sce...@libero.it wrote:
> https://arxiv.org/abs/1908.07068 <https://arxiv.org/abs/1908.07068>
> Randomness? What randomness?
>
> Klaas Landsman
> <https://arxiv.org/search/physics?searchtype=author&query=Landsman%2C+K>
> This is a review of the issue of randomness in quantum mechanics, with
> special emphasis on its ambiguity; for example, randomness has different
> antipodal relationships to determinism, computability, and compressibility.
> Following a (Wittgensteinian) philosophical discussion of randomness in
> general, I argue that deterministic interpretations of quantum mechanics
> (like Bohmian mechanics or 't Hooft's Cellular Automaton interpretation) are
> strictly speaking incompatible with the Born rule. I also stress the role of
> outliers, i.e. measurement outcomes that are not 1-random. Although these
> occur with low (or even zero) probability, their very existence implies that
> the no-signaling principle used in proofs of randomness of outcomes of
> quantum-mechanical measurements (and of the safety of quantum cryptography)
> should be reinterpreted statistically, like the second law of thermodynamics.
> In appendices I discuss the Born rule and its status in both single and
> repeated experiments, and review the notion of 1-randomness introduced by
> Kolmogorov, Chaitin, Martin-Lo"f, Schnorr, and others.
>
> This might be helpful, but more likely over my head. What I want to know is
> WHO originally came up with the interpretation of QM that it is irreducibly
> random

Born

> -- meaning that in principle there is no way to predetermine outcomes of
> experiments -- and WHAT was the justification.

That the wave described some intensities, together with the fact that the wave
described also unique system. Like Feynman and Deutsch say: you need already
this to explain the (thought) experiment with two slits, and with the particles
sent one by one. The wave amplitude seems to be a wave of probability, but
eventually it is the square of the wave which has to be interpreted as a
probability. With the MWI it is a probability on relatively accessible
computational state, confirming the Mechanist consequence in physics: physics
is the science of the probability on our continuations in arithmetic (or in any
Turing universal machinery).

Bruno