> On 10 Mar 2021, at 00:45, spudboy100 via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> I kind of side with Canadian philosopher John Leslie, as well as British
> astronomer, James Jeans on this question. Both Leslie and Jeans see the
> cosmos as a Great Thought. I formalize their conjectures as a Great Program.
> One may ask, running on what?

IF you are willing to bet, like Darwin did implicitly, that life is Turing
emulable, so that for example, you can survive with an artificial digital brain
(and there are evidences for this, if only the success of Darwin’s type of
explanation in biology),
Then, the “Great program” are given any Universal Turing Machinery. More
precisely, any Model (in the sense of Logician) of any Turing-complete theory
would do the work. As the elementary arithmetic that we all learn in primary
school is a universal machinery, we need only to believe in the truth of 2+2=4
& Co.

Now, you might ask where does that arithmetical reality come from?

Answer: any other universal machinery can explain this. You can derive the
Robinson Axioms of Arithmetic from the simple theory of combinators, which has
only two axioms Kxy = x, and Sxyz = xz(yz) together with three simple identity
axioms(*). I did it explicitly on this forum (search “combinators”).
So, all we need is to assume one Universal machinery, whichever you want.

Now, you might ask where does that “first” universal machinery comes from?

Answer: It is impossible to derive a universal machinery from something which
is not already a universal machinery. So, a universal machinery is a needed to
even just define the notion of machine and machinery.

(In case people have forgotten: a universal machinery is given by all programs
in some Turing universal system, or the partial computable functions associates
with those programs, the phi_i. A universal machine/number is a number u such
that
phi_u(x, y) = phi_x(y). u is called the computer, x is called the program, and
y is called the data. (x, y) is supposed to be a number (coding the two numbers
x and y).

Note that when you have a universal number, you can define a universal
machinery associated with it, and all universal machinery contains (infinitely
many) universal numbers.

Once we assume/believe/bet-on Indexical Digital Mechanism (yes doctor + the
Church Turing thesis), physics is reduced to a statistics on all (relative)
computations going through our computational mental states, and that statistics
is given by the modal logic of the “observable” variant of Gödel’s beweisbar
predicate.

A believer in an ontological physical universe must abandon Mechanism, or
abandon rationality.

I got the "many-world” aspect of physics from this in the 1970, and it took 30
years to get quantum logic for the observable, and quantum intuitionist logic
for the sensible.

I recall you the 8 modes of self-reference imposed by incompleteness. P
represents sigma_1 arithmetical proposition.

p (truth)
[]p (justifiable)                               (splits in two along G*/G)
[]p & p (knowable)
[]p & <>t (observable)          (splits in two along G*/G)
[]p & <>t & p (sensible)                (splits in two along G*/G)

G* proves them all equivalent, but G cannot prove any of those equivalences. It
means that the machine sees the same truth, but from 8 very different
perspective obeying 8 very different mathematics.

Bruno

(*) the full basic theory of combinators is:

RULES:

1) If x = y and x = z, then y = z
2) If x = y then xz = yz
3) If x = y then zx = zy