On Monday, June 17, 2024 at 7:28:13 PM UTC+2 John Clark wrote:

On Sun, Jun 16, 2024 at 10:26 PM PGC <multipl...@gmail.com> wrote:

*> you can always brute force some LLM through huge compute and large,
highly domain specific training data, to "solve" a set of problems;*

I don't know what those quotation marks are supposed to mean but if you are
able to "solve" a set of problems then the problems have been solved, the
method of doing so is irrelevant. Are you sure you're not whistling past
the graveyard?

In discussing the distinction between memorization, which LLMs heavily rely
on, and genuine reasoning, which involves building new mental models
capable of broad generalizations and depth, consider the following:

Even if I have no prior knowledge of a specific domain, with a large enough
library, memory, and pattern recognition of word sequences and
probabilistic associations, I could "generate" a solution by merely
matching patterns. The more my memory aligns with the problem and domain,
the higher the likelihood of "solving" it.

To illustrate, imagine a student unfamiliar with an advanced topic who
stumbles upon a book in a library that contains the exact problem and its
solution. By copying the solution verbatim, they have effectively cheated.
This is akin to undergraduates peeking at each other's exams: they are
unable to model the problem and derive a solution themselves but can
memorize and reproduce the solution by glancing at others' work. This
differs from students who, through understanding the domain's fundamentals,
experiment with various approaches and reason their way to a solution.
These students might even discover novel solutions, unlike those who merely
copy and paste from their peers. Hence the quotation marks; there is no
"solving" going on by cheating through memory.

This analogy extends to the internet, where some people fake expertise by
parroting buzzwords and formulations from Wikipedia, in contrast to genuine
experts who contribute original insights. As discussions progress and
become more complex, these parrots often become lost, unable to keep up
with the depth and specificity required. Higher education attempts to
address this by rewarding original, effective problem-solving approaches
over mere memorization and repetition.