On Thursday, June 20, 2024 at 4:13:25 AM UTC+2 Jason Resch wrote:

On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 6:05 PM Brent Meeker <meeke...@gmail.com> wrote:

You can always add some randomness to a computer program.  LLM's aren't
deterministic now.  Human intelligence may very well be memory plus
randomness, although I'd bet on the inclusion of some inference
algorithms.  The randomness doesn't even have to be in the brain.  People
interact with their environment which provides a lot of effective
randomness plus some relevant prompts.

Yes, I think there is no great mystery to creativity. It requires only 1.
random permutation/combination, and 2. an evaluation function: *how much
better is this new thing compared to the previous thing?* This is the
driver behind all the innovation in biology produced by natural selection.
And this same mechanism is replicated in the technique of "genetic
programming <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_programming>." Koza, who
invented genetic programming, used it to create his "invention machine
<https://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2006-04/john-koza-has-built-invention-machine/>"

which has created patent-worthy improvements across multiple domains of
technology.

I use genetic programming to evolve bots, and in only a few generations,
they move from stumbling around at random, to deriving unique,
environment-specific strategies to maximize their ability to feed
themselves while avoiding obstacles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBsqlWQTts&list=PLq_mdJjNRPT11IF4NFyLcIWJ1C0Z3hTAX&index=2

There is no intelligence imparted to the design of the bots. They evolve
purely based on random variation of traits of the top performers (as
evaluated based on how much they ate during their life).

Your addition about randomness is interesting. It’s true that LLMs
incorporate some degree of randomness, and human intelligence might also be
influenced by randomness and inference algorithms. The interaction with our
environment introduces effective randomness contributing to our
decision-making processes. The notion that creativity stems from random
permutation/combination and an evaluation function resonates with the
principles of natural selection and genetic programming. The example of
genetic programming evolving bots to optimize their behavior through random
variation and evaluation showcases this mechanism effectively.

However, we should differentiate between speculation and facts in your
statements. While randomness and evaluation are essential components of
genetic programming, the assertion that there is "no great mystery to
creativity" oversimplifies: what you're bringing up is a kind of
creativity, which is constrained by its iterative limitations. A change
here, a small new feature there... it's clear that this is creativity on a
budget, making only the smallest adaptations necessary for survival instead
of yielding radically new designs from the ground up. The kind that is
found and most sought after in boundary-breaking science and/or art, even
if everybody stands on shoulders: not every PhD has a Newtonian impact on
the world.

Randomness + evaluation = creativity looks rhetorically simple and clear.
However, there are two problems I see:

1. Who/What is Evaluating? Evaluation can be completely deterministic and
mechanical, it can be effective on levels like natural selection, or it can
result from a subject with intuition, experience, and a refined sense of
taste or a more rudimentary one. It can involve a particular psychology,
some world or even multiverse-based ontology to embed said subject, and
more. The questions raised encompass our entire history and all qualia, if
not more. Therefore, evaluation is not as simple or clear as that seemingly
factual statement suggests. "Evaluation," as you sketch out rather
unclearly, merely hides the problem of subject and reality for a rhetorical
mirage of clarity.

2. Oversimplification of Creativity: By all means, build the creativity
machine, order the randomness and evaluation in bottles from Amazon, and
win every prize from science to the arts by cranking it up to 11. But this
oversimplification doesn't capture the full depth of human creativity,
which involves more than just random variations and evaluations. It
involves cognitive processes we have difficulty describing, emotional
influences, and the ability to synthesize disparate ideas into something
more original on the novelty spectrum.

Ultimately, while LLMs and AI can significantly augment our capabilities,
they remain, for now, advanced assistants rather than autonomous
intelligences capable of independent breakthroughs. The future may bring
further integration and enhancement, but the unique qualities of human
intelligence—our ability to synthesize thought, exercise creativity, and
approach problems from unstructured perspectives with imperfect information
to name just a few aspects —are not yet replicable by anything people have
built.

I'm sure Quentin, Telmo, and Russell are reading this and shaking their
heads. But they have probably been fired and replaced by LLMs much smarter
than them. This should provide additional motivation to build that machine
though, Jason. They need our support. Then again, the way we/people behave
in the world... it's best we don't develop that, IF it is possible in the
first place.

I'm not saying we won't see fascinating developments. The threshold for me
is overwhelming evidence that something can independently formulate and
learn to solve problems effectively with a notable degree of originality in
unspecified environments on problems it hasn't been trained on. Synthetic
data or not. Superintelligence is more like the thing that can spit out
3000 years worth of mathematical/scientific discoveries in a second. The
problem with this, presupposing optimistically and irrationally that it is
possible, is that I'm not sure we would understand it.