On Sunday, June 23, 2024 at 10:12:28 PM UTC+2 John Clark wrote:

On Sun, Jun 23, 2024 at 3:01 PM PGC <multipl...@gmail.com> wrote:

 > *Do note, I am not making a claim that there is nothing to LLMs and
their recent boost in applications, capacity, conveniences offered, and
similar developments. But it’s narrow AI  by definition*

By what definition?

The standard definition of everybody from Science Fiction authors to the
field of research. The one you are already well aware of. Ask your LLM of
choice, perform a search on your search engine, or go to Wikipedia
regarding narrow or weak
AI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_artificial_intelligence

And for everybody here assuming the Mechanist ontology, which implies the
Strong AI thesis, i.e. the assertion that a machine can think, I am curious
as to why any of you would assume that general intelligence and mind would
arise from a narrow AI. Narrow is the opposite of some advanced Turing +
machine with inductive reasoning abilities, which partly define it. Because
sure, such a machine could conceive of, run, emulate, implement, build any
possible narrow AI by definition, but not the opposite.