On Mon, Jun 24, 2024 at 10:00 AM PGC <multiplecit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> *> And for everybody here assuming the Mechanist ontology, which implies
> the Strong AI thesis, i.e. the assertion that a machine can think,*

I don't know about everybody but I certainly have that view because the
only alternative is vitalism, the idea that only life, especially human
life, has a special secret sauce that is not mechanistic, that is to say
does not follow the same laws of physics as non-living things.  And that
view has been thoroughly discredited since 1859 when Darwin wrote "The
Origin Of Species".

> *> I am curious as to why any of you would assume that general
> intelligence and mind would arise from a narrow AI.*

If a human could converse with you as intelligently as Claude can in such a
wide number of unrelated topics you would never call his range of interest
narrow, but because Claude's brain is hard and dry and not soft and squishy
you do.  I'll tell you what let's make a bet, I bet that an AI will win the
International Mathematical Olympiad in less than 3 years, perhaps much
less. I also bet that in less than 3 years the main political issue in
every major country will not be unlawful immigration or crime or even an
excess in wokeness, it will be what to do about AI which is taking over
jobs at an accelerating rate.  What do you bet?

bwu