On Tue, Jul 2, 2024 at 12:52 PM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

*> I also see it as surprising that through hardware improvements alone,
> and without specific breakthroughs in algorithms, we should see such great
> strides in AI.*

I was not surprised because the entire human genome only has the capacity
to hold 750 MB of information; that's about the amount of information you
could fit on an old-fashioned CD, not a DVD, just a CD. The true number
must be considerably less than that because that's the recipe for building
an entire human being, not just the brain, and the genome contains a huge
amount of redundancy, 750 MB is just the upper bound.

> *> Humans no longer write the algorithms these neural networks derive, the
> training process comes up with them. And much like the algorithms
> implemented in the human brain, they are in a representation so opaque and
> that they escape our capacity to understand. So I would argue, there have
> been massive breakthroughs in the algorithms that underlie the advances in
> AI, we just don't know what those breakthroughs are.*

That is a very interesting way to look at it, and I think you are basically
correct.

> *> I think the human brain, with its 600T connections might signal an
> upper bound for how many are required, but the brain does a lot of other
> things too, so the bound could be lower.*

The human brain has about 86 billion neurons with 7*10^14 synaptic
connections (a more generous estimate than yours), but the largest
supercomputer in the world, the Frontier Computer at Oak ridge, has
2.5*10^15  transistors, over three times as many. And we know from
experiments that a typical synapse in the human brain "fires" between 1 and
50 times per second, but a typical transistor in a computer "fires" about 4
billion times a second (4*10^9). It also has 9.2* 10^15 bites of fast
memory. That's why the Frontier Computer can perform 1.1 *10^18 double
precision floating point calculations per second and why the human brain
can not.

By way of comparison, Ray Kurzweil estimates that the hardware needed to
emulate a human mind would need to be able to perform 10^16 calculations
per second and have 10^12 bytes of memory. And the calculations would not
need to be 64 bit double precision floating point, 8 bit or perhaps even 4
bit precision would be sufficient. So in the quest to develop a
superintelligence, insufficient hardware is no longer a barrier.
bom