On Sun, Jul 7, 2024 at 9:28 PM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

*>I thought it was obvious that foresight requires consciousness. It
> requires the ability of think in terms of future scenarios*

The keyword in the above is "think". Foresight means using logic to
predict, given current starting conditions, what the future will likely be,
and determining how a change in the initial conditions will likely affect
the future.  And to do any of that requires intelligence. Both Large
Language Models and picture to video AI programs have demonstrated that
they have foresight ; if you ask them what will happen if you cut the
string holding down a helium balloon they will tell you it will flow away,
but if you add that the instant string is cut an Olympic high jumper will
make a grab for the dangling string they will tell you what will likely
happen then too. So yes, foresight does imply consciousness because
foresight demands intelligence and consciousness is the inevitable
byproduct of intelligence.

> *> in which you are an actor*

Obviously any intelligence will have to take its own actions in account to
determine what the likely future will be. After a LLM gives you an answer
to a question, based on that answer I'll bet an AI  will be able to make a
pretty good guess what your next question to it will be.

ods