On 7/11/2024 4:34 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Wed, Jul 10, 2024 at 11:46 PM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

        >> Consciousness is the inevitable product of intelligence, it is
        not the cause of intelligence.

    / I think that's wrong. /

You say I'm wrong and yet I 99% agree with what you say in the very next sentence, it would be 100% except that I'm not quite sure whether the pronoun "it" refers to intelligence or consciousness.
Consciousness.

    /> It is the cause of some instances of intelligence. Imagining
    yourself in various scenario's and running them forward in
    imagination is very much the cause of on kind of intelligence,
    i.e. foresight./

Yes, foresight is the kind of intelligence that examines possible future scenarios and takes actions that increase the likelihood that the scenario that actuallyoccurs isone that is desirable from its point of view. That's how a Chess program became a grandmaster in the 1990's. AlphaZerodid the same thing when it beat the world champion human player at the game of GO, except that it didn't think (a.k.a. imagine) all possible scenarios but only moves that an intelligent opponent would likely make, including an opponent that was as intelligent as itself. That's how AlphaZerowent from knowing nothing about GO, except for the few simple rules of the game, to being able to play GO at a superhuman level in just a few hours.

        >>it's a brute fact that consciousness is the way data feels
        when it is being processed.

    /> That's false. /

Once more you say I'm wrong,but this time I agree 100% not 99% with what you say in the very next sentence.

    /> Lots of data is processed every day by machines that are not
    conscious and we "see" they are not conscious because they take no
    intelligent action based on the data being true. /

So like me you believe the Turing Test is not just a test for intelligence, it is also a test for consciousness. In fact, although imperfect, it is the only test for consciousness we have, or will ever have. So if a computer is behaving as intelligently as a human then it must be as conscious as a human. Probably.

John K Clark    See what's on my new list at Extropolis <https://groups.google.com/g/extropolis>
uu6

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv1CCP1MMbhS-vRuUDxf89Xey4h_GoUJ8mLzNdNGb%2BHG2g%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv1CCP1MMbhS-vRuUDxf89Xey4h_GoUJ8mLzNdNGb%2BHG2g%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.