On Tue, Jul 9, 2024, 8:18 AM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 9, 2024 at 7:54 AM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>Consciousness is the inevitable product of intelligence, it is not the
>>> cause of intelligence.
>>>

>> *> **I didn't say it was the cause, I said it is a prerequisite.*
>>

> My dictionary says the definition of "*prerequisite*"  is  "*a thing that
> is required as a prior condition for something else to happen or exist*". And
> it says the definition of "*cause*" is "*a person or thing that gives
> rise to an action, phenomenon, or condition*". So cause and prerequisite
> are synonyms.

There's a subtle distinction.

Muscles and bones are prerequisites for limbs, but muscles and bones do not
cause limbs.

Lemons are a prerequisite for lemonade, but do not cause lemonade.

Intelligence is what you get when you combine perception with action, so
that actions can be selected in a manner guided by perceptions.

Perception (i.e. consciousness) and action are prerequisites for
intelligence. But perception alone does not cause and will not provide
intelligence.

>> *> You conveniently (for you but not for me) ignored and deleted my
>> explanation in your reply.*
>>

> Somehow I missed that "detailed explanation" you refer to.

I copy it here:

I define intelligence by something capable of intelligent action.

Intelligent action requires non random choice: choice informed by
information from the environment.

Having information about the environment (i.e. perceptions) is
consciousness. You cannot have perceptions without there being some process
or thing to perceive them.

Therefore perceptions (i.e. consciousness) is a requirement and
precondition of being able to perform intelligent actions.

Jason