http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/evolution-hackers/2002-March/004292.html

Applogies, it seems that maybe it is not a kernel bug after all.
However, this explanation seems only to apply to the addressbook - and
you are having problems anything you try to spawn anything, so I wonder
if that means it's an ORBit or oaf bug? Then again, each component might
be broken in the same way as the addressbook? I don't really know.

This will probably never ever be fixed in a 1.0.x release mostly because
we are concentrating on 1.2.

Have you tried Evolution 1.1.x snapshot packages? Do they have the same
problem?

None of us are running kernel 2.5 and I for one have no desire to run it
ever so getting this fixed is gonna depend on you helping out.

You can start by running gdb and/or strace on the components. You can
find out how to gdb a component by searchuing for "backtrace" on
support.ximian.com in the knowledgebase section.

Jeff

On Sun, 2002-06-23 at 19:55, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 01:30, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> > Given that:
> >
> > 1. Evolution works fine on kernel 2.2
> > 2. Evolution works fine on kernel 2.4
> > 3. Evolution does not work fine on kernel 2.5...
> >
> > Seems pretty obvious to me where the problem is - kernel 2.5, it is the
> > only thing that has changed in the equation.
> >
> > well, unless kernels 2.2 and 2.4 were broken in such a way that made
> > Evolution work :-)
> > But assuming that was the case, then it could be argued that kernel 2.5
> > *is* broken for changing behavior.
> >

> > Anyways, kernel 2.5 is a development kernel, so you are supposed to
> > expect things to not work. We should not have to make sure that
> > Evolution works on development kernels.
> >

> > You are of course free to debug this, I would probably start with
> > debugging ORBit since if it really is not a kernel bug, then the bug is
> > mostly likely in ORBit.
> >
> > Jeff
>
> Hello, Jeff...
>
> What scares me all about this is the fact that the kernel people still
> go on patching and developing the 2.5 kernel, but the problem is still
> there. It seems like if no one cares... I wonder what might have changed
> and I would like to help in finding the culprit but to be honest I think
> I don't know how... (I'm not neither a kernel hacker nor a evolution
> hacker).

Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Ximian, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  - www.ximian.com