Launching a perl process that does alot of searching and evaluating for
every message that comes in could get expensive.

     It should be possible to embed a perl interpreter into the code.
You could enter an expression into a field, like the scheme expression
in 1.08 that I've seen, that is to be evaluated for every message that
comes in.  The expression is evaluated into an 'anonymous subroutine'
(perlism) that is executed on every message.

    An internal perl function could be provided that would 'get' the
message text, or the headers, or whatever is available in the Evolution
internals.

   A startup file in the evolution directory could load any Perl libs
(such as Mail::Audit and Spam Assassin) that might be desired for
processing incoming messages.