what about ruby? :)
easy to learn, easy to code, OOP

On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 13:05, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
Evolution CVS has a means of piping messages to a process and getting
back (via exit code of said process) a value which can be compared
against to find whether or not you want to filter that message.

At some point we plan on adding a scripting engine to Evolution so that
users can implement their own "wouldn't this be cool" features
themselves, so I'd rather not add Perl now only to remove it later in
favour of some other scripting language. I'd prefer to do it once and do
it The Right Way (tm). Besides, we will probably not want to use Perl
anyway, we'd probably want to use something else (first off, I don't
know perl and to me it's not a very attractive scripting language). I
know Miguel is pushing for c#, which actually kinda sounds like the best
idea. We've also looked at guile and python, but I don't think python's
interpreter was threadsafe or something, and as far as guile goes,
scheme is probably way over the average user's head.

That said, this will still have to wait until at least after 1.4 is
released, and possibly have to wait longer.

Jeff

On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 12:34, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > > Launching a perl process that does alot of searching and evaluating for
> > > every message that comes in could get expensive.
> >
> > Hm, yes, thats true, I didn't think of that.
>
> Ok, well, didn't think of that before, but couldn't you simply have some
> kind of process running that accepts mails over a socket? Then you could
> still use the filter system thats already in-place, pipe the message to
> the socket, and send back the reply from that? Then it would save all
> the startup time while not putting everything into evolution...
> Anyway, its OK with me (personally) to put it in, but I can see how it
> might not fit the larger picture.
>
> johannes

Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Ximian, Inc.