It sounds like maybe you are using an Outlook rule to forward his email.
How about instead created a "Special Recipient" of his external address on
your exchange server, and then in the exchange server administrator entry
for this guy, on the "Delivery Options" tag, make the Special Recipient the
Alternate Recipient.  That's how we do off-campus forwarding.

List Charter and FAQ at: