You dont need an Enterprise CAL to use ActiveSync.
There are some policies that are only avail with the Enterprise CAL however.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:31 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Blackberry question

In a large financial organization like the one I work for, we have around 9000
blackberry devices. No windows mobile or EAS since the Security folks won't
approve it. (Can't block SMS, 3rd party messaging, etc)

 While I love Exchange as a mail server, the EAS solution is still immature (we
have tested even e2k7 sp1).  It also needs a enterprise CAL (so EAS is not
really free).