From: Ben Scott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:44 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Hosting Multiple domains in Exchange 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Jonathan Gruber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ESM error message is "An SMTP protocol error occurred."

  That's closer to a real cause.  The server you're trying to send to
is replying with something your server doesn't like.  I'm guessing
Exchange thinks the error is a temporary one, and thus queues the mail
for retry later.  The timeout message you're getting is Exchange
saying, "I've tried several times now, and it still won't go through;
I'm giving up".

  It might be useful to see a transcript of the SMTP session, but
before you go to the trouble:

> DomainB is  shirevalleydesign.com

  It appears you have some lame delegations (that's the actual
technical term) in your DNS zone.  When a DNS resolver encounters a
lame delegation, it usually fails the lookup (returns SERVFAIL).  Any
MX that gets that result will consider the domain non-existent and
reject it.  Good money says that's your problem.

  The GTLD SOA nameserver shows the following delegations for your domain:

$ dig +noall +ans NS shirevalleydesign.com. @a.gtld-servers.net
shirevalleydesign.com.  172800  IN      NS      dns3.ptd.net.
shirevalleydesign.com.  172800  IN      NS      dns4.ptd.net.
shirevalleydesign.com.  172800  IN      NS      ns3.zoneedit.com.
shirevalleydesign.com.  172800  IN      NS      ns7.zoneedit.com.
$

  The two ZoneEdit servers respond with zone information, but the
ptd.net servers respond with a referral back to the root.  That means
those servers believe they are not authoritative for the domain.
(Hence "lame delegation"; you've delegated authority to servers which
do not believe they are authoritative.)

$ dig +noall +ans +auth ANY shirevalleydesign.com. @dns3.ptd.net
com.                    116724  IN      NS      i.gtld-servers.net.
com.                    116724  IN      NS      j.gtld-servers.net.
com.                    116724  IN      NS      k.gtld-servers.net.
com.                    116724  IN      NS      l.gtld-servers.net.
com.                    116724  IN      NS      m.gtld-servers.net.
com.                    116724  IN      NS      a.gtld-servers.net.
com.                    116724  IN      NS      b.gtld-servers.net.
com.                    116724  IN      NS      c.gtld-servers.net.
com.                    116724  IN      NS      d.gtld-servers.net.
com.                    116724  IN      NS      e.gtld-servers.net.
com.                    116724  IN      NS      f.gtld-servers.net.
com.                    116724  IN      NS      g.gtld-servers.net.
com.                    116724  IN      NS      h.gtld-servers.net.
$

  Fix your DNS and try again.  Either configure the two ptd.net
nameservers with zone information, or remove them as registered
nameservers for your domain.

-- Ben