I pitched tapes a few years ago, and never looked back.  I back up exchange
over the network with NTbackup run from a scheduled task script on W2k3
server.  The backup destination has $20 drive trays attached to a hot
swappable SATA controller.  I put in my own Sata Drives and rotate them by
hand weekly.  Very reliable.  Almost free.  I do a test restore weekly and
have not had a failure in two years.  I think many more people spend
thousands on a backup solution for exchange than really need to.

-Bill