The two physical sites would be on two different segments of our campus so we
have redundant network links as well as power for both.  Load would be
distributed between the two of them (2 servers per site) with replication
between the two.  We have also been considering a third non-local site 30 to 40
miles away, but we are still looking at bandwidth at that site.  That would be
a third copy of our DB's and we would put some latency on the copies (possibly
a few days) basically for DR purposes only.

We currently have a 30 day deleted item retention period for users.   We also
have a 6 month Deleted Mailbox Retention period on the servers so we can
recover a mailbox up to 6 months.  Our Tivoli Backups give us an extra 60 days
on top of that.   Our current Exchange deployment uses a DS 4800 but with the
new Exchange 2010 and expanded quota requirements and DAG, the SAN storage is
too expensive of a solution especially if we are breaking up or server location
in 2 to 3 sites.  Our current Tivoli backups are running about 8 hours to
backup 3.2 terabytes for full backups.

Our whole backup strategy for Exchange 2010 is being looked at closely.  The
team still would like to be able to have some off-site backups (currently done
with Tivoli) for that extra comfort level.

Pete Pfefferkorn
University of Cincinnati
Systems Engineer/Messaging Administrator
(513) 556-9076
pfeff...@ucmail.uc.edu