Hi,

    I'm beginning to suspect that there may be a bug in the stock
mandrake
kernel that causes file system corruption. (I installed mandrake7.0
almost a week
ago now.)

Eg. I downloaded star office to
my home directory and then su'd and copy'd the file to the directory I
wanted
to install it in. I untarred it and installed it; had some problems with
kde
integration so figured I'd just reinstall it. ( I was tired ok! )
However the second time I untarred it I got crc errors. So I copied it
back
from my home dir and untarred it and it worked. However half way through
the
install I got crc errors while extracting files (I had previously
removed the
old install and setup directories so there were no preexisting files
there).
So I downloaded it again and it worked fine for about two hours then
some lib's
started getting corrupted and it refused to load, it would immediately
segfault.
So I completely deleted it and the install directory and untarred it
again
and ran it and got crc errors. Anyways I ended up downloading it again
and
reinstalling it.

Then I was tired so I shutdown the computer normally with "shutdown -h
now"
I waited until it was done and went to bed. When I fired up the computer
today
I got alot of errors on the root drive and a nasty fsck.

If this is fs corruption as a result of a bug in the kernel or something
else is there a way that I can specifically test this?

Sheldon.

Sheldon Lee Wen                    http://members.xoom.com/Lycadican
"Superstition is a word the ignorant use to describe their ignorance."
  -- Sifu.