Civileme wrote:

> <Winces>
>
> That does not sound like anything but either a) memory or b) HDD.  Most likely b.
>
> I just recovered a filesystem where a processor had done a HCF (Halt and catch
> fire) and the disk repaired itself beautifully.
>
> Civileme

To test, put the HDD into another computer running linux from another HDD and use
fdsik to print a partition table then fsck -c every partition using alternate blocks
as necessary (except, of course the swap partition)

Then move it to the boot position and see if it starts OK

If it does, you most likely have a memory problem or an IDE interface problem
(unlikely) wtih the computer you took it out of.

If it doesn't repair or errors out of the fscks no matter what, your Hdd is due for
that last ride

If it repairs but immediately shows errors when you boot it or after two or three
boots then perhaps there is a bug everyone wants to know about.  However this is the
most unlikely of the three since the routines that handle the filesystem are the
nearly the oldest and certainly most stable of all and only the drivers are updated.

I hit the send key too soon before.  Apologies.

Civileme