> does it happen with the 'kernel-linus' ?

I recompiled my kernel last night from stock source code
I downloaded last night. I'll let you know how it goes.
So far no problems except wierd errors with VMWare's NT install.
But that's most likely due to the fact that I transferred the entire
VMWare disk to this machine over the internal network. I've fixed it
now if I notice anything more I'll let you know.

The suggestion about the memory is also possible I guess. Does linux
have problems with ECC PC100 SDRAM? I've got a "ram exam" program I'll
run on it to see if it turn's anything up.

Cheers,
Sheldon.

Sheldon Lee Wen                    http://members.xoom.com/Lycadican
"Superstition is a word the ignorant use to describe their ignorance."
  -- Sifu.