----- Original Message -----
From: Rich Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2000 5:59 AM
Subject: Re: lack of documentation (was Re: [expert] Removing supermount)

> On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Brian T. Schellenberger wrote:

>remove it?
> > |
> Funny.... less than 45 seconds with a browser and search engine and I came
> up with a link to a rather nice README on supermount here:
>
> http://mops.uci.agh.edu.pl/mopsy-linux/Documentation/filesystems/supermount.txt

An excerpt from the docs explains a lot about the problems posted here:

Caveats and Provisos
--------------------

There are still some limitations to the current version of
supermount.  I hope to overcome these shortly in future releases, but
for now, be aware that:

* You can only specify one filesystem type on the mount command line.
  Supermount cannot yet autodetect the type of filesystem you supply.   <------- note

* With the 2.0 kernel, CDROM door locking has been made much more
  aggressive.  You will probably find that once supermount has mounted
  your disk, you cannot unmount it again.  Not helpful!

* The only filesystem which is supported read/write with supermount is
  msdos.  The msdos filesystem has the special characteristic that it
  never has to access the disk when you unmount it, so supermount can
  safely defer the unmounting until after the disk is removed.  That
  doesn't work so well for filesystems such as ext2fs which try to
  write to the filesystem when it is unmounted.

Hoyt