"Brian T. Schellenberger" wrote:

> I suppose that I have an expectation that I shouldn't have to go to the
> net to get documentation on new features in the distribution.

I think that I had that expectation at one time.  It has been
corrected.  That is THE place to look for info, whether it is
Microsoft, Caldera, RedHat, Debian, FreeBSD, BeOS, or what have
you.

> In my case it would seem that I got a bad copy of Mandrake 'cause I
> only seem to have two disks though the package looks like it's meant to
> hold three of 'em.  (I got the Macmillan package.)

Well, the MacMillan distro is just the bare essentials--the power
pack has 6 or 7 CDs

> I must say as well that I've been unimpressed by the lack of response
> to my "cooker" missive regarding installation issues and I will
> probably leave the Mandrake fold once Caldera comes out with their next
> distribution.  They seem to spend a bit more time smoothing out the
> rough edges.

Principal focus on cooker at this time would be preparing new
packages.  The sort of interaction you seek happens during a code
freeze when the folks at Mandrakesoft are responding to nearly
every missive, not only with a comment but often with a fix.  You
might want to hang around long enough to find out what it is
like.

As for Caldera's "smoothing out the rough edges", I sent a
separate post about my experiences.  I had zero sound working on
6 installations that I eventually trashed for Mandrake.  The
kernel tools in Caldera seem to make it HARDER to handle modules
that Mandrake by quite a lot.  It was almost like fighting win98
install wizards.

> (And they happen to include most of the packages *I* happen to want,
> though nowhere near the variety that Mandrake does.  They simplify the
> task of installation by just flat-out choosing KDE and not giving as
> many options.  Which is ok with me since I happen to like their
> options.  It would presumably not satisfy most Mandrake users, however.)

"Daddy, why do we have to hide from the police?"

"Because we use emacs, son.  They use vi."

> I will probably re-post my "issues" mail, broken up into pieces and
> cross-posted to the lists, though, just to see if there's any consensus
> on these issues that might motivate Mandrake to solve them or at least
> to respond . . .

If you're not trying to fix it, it must not be a problem. <G>
Seriously, I will be looking forward to seeing your "issues".

<BIG SNIP>

> I am "Brian, the man from babble-on" (Brian T. Schellenberger).
> I can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED] .
> I support http://www.eff.org & http://www.programming-freedom.org .
> I boycott amazon.com.  See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/amazon.html .

Civileme

--
experimentation involving more than 500 trials with an
ordinary slice of bread and a tablespoon of peanut butter