On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Ramon Gandia wrote:

> Ivan Trail wrote:
> >
> > just my two cents worth, with NO REFUNDS!
>
> And my 3 cents will make it a Nickel:
>
> These mailing lists have two sorts of people on it.  Group 1
> are the newcomers that have legitimate questions to ask.  Not
> exacty Newbies, but 'newcomer.'  Group 2 are the rest of the
> grouchos that answer them or seek the Truth.
>
> You, sir, probably belong to neither group.  You are looking at
> a social place, and want to see ever expanding level of expertise
> on this list.  This is not the intent.  The mailing lists have
> a place, and it is to help the Mandrake user.  By their very
> nature, the people asking are those that do not know the
> answers.
>
> There is an influx of new people all the time.  It is wrong to
> get angry or be dissapointed just because a Newcomer is having
> problem with Modems, his WinModem don't work, or his PPP link
> won't come up.  We see these questions asked ALL THE TIME, and
> they are going to be asked all the time each and every week
> from now until Hell Freezes Over.  That is the way it is.
> Once the newcomer gets his questions answered, he will move
> on or become one of the grouchos answering questions.
>
> To make it plain, I have received VERY LITTLE help from this
> list, although I do get a surprise once in a while.   I am
> here to answer some questions.  I am an ISP, and what I know
> is often of help to some newcomers.  Others on this list
> know Perl, or PHP, or Sendmail, or....etc.  That is what is
> all about.
>
> If you get tired of the Questions and their answers; if the
> list is repetitive to you, or sounds trivial, then I would
> say that you have outgrown it.  Nothing to get angry about.
> Hang around if you want, or move on.  Maybe to return later.
>
> Linux is a long, tall ladder.  We all climb this ladder of
> learning.  As we slowly climb, we see those above and ask for
> help, and at the same time we reach down and help pull up
> those below us.  While we move up this ladder, we have to
> recognize that new people are getting on the lower rungs all
> the time.
>
> I, and a few others that pitched in, answered and discussed
> some questions regarding Modems....and Supermount.  Frankly,
> I had posted about this four or five times already.  And
> it will happen again because next week, sure as all get out,
> some newcomer will want to know how come his "SupraExpress
> 56i PCI Modem will not be recognized or work with Linux".
> So, it starts over.  Thats the way it was, is, and will be.

I agree with what has been said in this thread, that we're all here to
learn and help others learn what we already know.  Unfortunately,
sometimes someone lets a bit of frustration surface in their writings,
that sets off other people's triggers and a mini-flame war erupts.  No big
deal, I've seen it happen on lists and on USENET and on IRC and... *8P

Maybe what the list needs is a FAQ page posted somewhere.  Someone
subscribes to the list, they get the nice new welcome note from the list
manager that gives them pointers about how to post, what to post and where
to look for answers *before* they post the same question that's been asked
and answered countless times before.  Everyone else has a FAQ, why don't
we?

--
Rich Clark

Sign the petition at http://www.libranet.com/petition.html