Rich Clark wrote:

> Maybe what the list needs is a FAQ page posted somewhere.  Someone
> subscribes to the list, they get the nice new welcome note from the list
> manager that gives them pointers about how to post, what to post and where
> to look for answers *before* they post the same question that's been asked
> and answered countless times before.  Everyone else has a FAQ, why don't
> we?

We have a FAQ - sort of - at http://www.mandrakeuser.org
What we need is someone that can set up a Cron job to send an
email on a daily basis to THIS (and the Newbie) list advertising
the FAQ.

This same suggestion was made a year and a half ago on the RedHat
list, and there was a tremendous outcry against it.  The reasoning
went that there was too much email messages as it was without
cluttering it more with a daily "here is the FAQ" message.  Some
of us thought that one daily message or maybe three times a week,
would reduce the overall number of messages posted asking
questions.

At any rate, over at RedHat, DJB and the powers that be nixed
the idea.  Perhaps it would be better received at Mandrake.  The
cron generated email message is trivial to implement.  Whatever
is done is going to require the approval of Mandrake as this is
THEIR list.

--
Ramon Gandia ============= Sysadmin ============== Nook Net
http://www.nook.net                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]