Yeh, I was pretty sure it was not really "busy" but getting the modem
working was VERY low priority since I was getting out to the 'net via my
home LAN and DSL line.  I tried the setserial that Tom suggested and it
worked, so now I have a fully functional Linux laptop. :-)
  --Dave

Brian T. Schellenberger typethed the following...