Mike Corbeil wrote:
> However, in following the general guideline, I make /boot a separate filesystem or
> partition, and do this regardless of the filesystem being above or below the 1024
> limit.  The reason for this generalized approach is merely to make sure that there's
> more flexibility for future modification to the system, and I don't think it can
> hurt to make /boot a separate fs, even if the entire configuration fits below cyl
> 1024.

Well, it depends on your BIOS, because at boot time lilo MUST use BIOS
calls
to find the kernel (the kernel being not yet loaded, linux's IDE
driver is
not yet active).

If you have a recent MB and BIOS, no problem, the 1024-cylinder limit
doesn't apply, because your BIOS knows how to access the disk even
above
the 1024 limit if needed (usually via LBA, i.e. without even _using_
cylinder/track/head values).

But if you have an older BIOS (usually on [34]86's) that depends on
such cyl/trk/head values, you HAVE TO put your kernel below the 1024
limit, or you will not be able to boot ... and beware here, lilo won't
even complain when you execute it, but it still won't boot !!!
The only way (on an ext2 fs) to be sure that a file is at such
a physical address, is to put THE WHOLE FILESYSTEM (the /boot)
completely under the limit.

--
Jean-Louis Debert        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
74 Annemasse  France