On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> Andrew George wrote:
>

> [snipped]
>
> May have already been answered, but in case it hasn't ...
>

> > Heres a related question
> > The following is part of my partition table
> > Device          Mount Point     Distribution
> > /hdb5           /boot           Debian
> > /hdb6           /               Debian
> > /hdc6           /boot           Mandrake
> > /hdc7           /               Mandrake
> >

> [snipped]
>
> > For example...If I'm in Mandrake with dev/hdb5 mounted as /mnt/debboot
> > should I specify the kernal location for Debian as /mnt/debboot/vmlinuz-2.0.38
> > and Lilo will set the MBR to go to hdb5 (even though it will mount hdb5 as /boot
> > when the kernal reads Debian's fstab)?
>
> No.  When you'ld boot into Deb, lilo would look for the kernel image in
> /mnt/debboot/ in Deb's / filesystem, because that's how you'ld have defined or
> spec'd it in your lilo configuration.

Actually tried it yesterday and it does work.
I think LILO needs to be able to find the kernel using a valid path in
lilo.conf  when it writes the MBR, but it writes the MBR using disk geometry
location not filesystem tree location (makes sense, there is no filesystem at
that point)
heres the lilo.conf I used - only hassle with it is I've got to remember to
mount the other boot partition in the same place when I want to run an update
on the MBR (/mnt/spare is of course /boot when Debian's running)

boot=/dev/hda
read-only
prompt
timeout=150
vga=normal

image=/boot/vmlinuz
root=/dev/hdc6
label=linux
append=""

other=/dev/hda1
label=win
table=/dev/hda

image=/mnt/spare/vmlinuz-2.0.38
root=/dev/hdb7
label=deb
append=""

Thanks for everyones comments on LILO recently, I would never have figured this
out without reading what everyone had to say

Andrew