On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Ken Archer wrote:

> Funny how you remember things your father used to say.  Mine used to look at me
> and say, "Experience is a cruel teacher, but a fool can learn from no other."

Good one.  While certain (safe) commands have had permissions modified
to allow me to run them as a normal user (of a particular group).
Having to type su or sudo (or whatever other program you use for the
purpose) is a reminder that what you are about to do may have
repercussions.

For our flippant friend who thinks that he loses nothing if he trashes
his install by running as root constantly, remember that may be true
if you have nothing but the stock distribution on your drive(s).  But
if, like most people you have custom configurations and packages
compiled specifically for your system, you could spend a week
recovering from it.  And if you don't back up (and we all know most
people don't) it can take much longer.

--
       _
     _|_|_