On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Sheldon wrote:
> I do EVERYTHING in vi, including programming, etc.
> It's fast, reliable, works over telnet, etc.

In respect for those who are stuck working on a slow as crap link to a box
which you can see your typing 30 seconds after you hit the key, vi is very
useful to get to the line number of choice, or go to the bottom of a large
file. I had this happen multiple times, as the DSL link to the office
machine gets saturated with ftp traffic, ssh is real slow. The only way I
could cope with that is using vi's repeat functions. Imagine how slow an
imprecise it is to hit the arrow key a whole bunch of times to move to the
right end of a line, instead of hitting '$'. The same goes with any
control over editing on a slow line. Not to mention how incredibly
powerful vi is. The design of vi allows it to cope with the slowest, most
backward terminals in the world, where everything is done wrong, or the
machine has only 1 slow link to any network at all.

--
Regards,

Ellick Chan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]