On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Mallard wrote:

> Why did Mandrake pick the most geekyist editor for a setup that is
> suposto be easy for users?
>
> Anyone else seen this joke of a program?
>
> With Vim all you have to do is spend a half hour trying to get it give
> you help, then scroll all the way to the bottom of a super long
> whoopy-do list of usless keyboard commands that you will forget a day
> after you use them. Please get rid of it!
>
> Try ":qw" to get out and save what you just did WTF is that? Did a human
> design this? That is if you figure out how to get into "insert" mode and
> out of it again. GET RID OF THIS! TRASH IT! Ban it from the Net!
>
> Couldn't use "X" or "E" for exit or maybe cntl-X or Z, no - had to be
> big geeks and do it some STUPID way. What the hell were these guys
> thinking? Do they live on this planet? Why does Mandrake support this?
> Trash it!
>
> Yea, I am pissed. All I wanted to do is set up my cron file ("crontab
> -e") and that brings up the "default" editor. Searching all over to find
> where the "default" editor is set up, couldn't find it. Another waste of
> time.
>
> I don't know who thinks this is some great thing, WOW! It has zillions
> of features! It's not 1982 anymore, we have word processors that have a
> better human interface than terminals did, get a life geeks! (directed
> at the guys who wrote and keep updating "vi" and "vim")
>
> Why not make the default editor a nice simple one, like maybe pico,
> where the commands are shown. I can't see anyone using a command line
> editor for much else than a few simple changes, there are better simple
> editors in KDE and such. Damn that really pissed me off, and on top of
> that you guys changed from "vi" (same stupid geeky crap) to "vim" (worse
> geeky crap) in 7.1 did someone request this? I want to know who!
>
> Figure if someone is a big enough geek to want vim, let them spend their
> life away trying to figure it out (and how to change the default editor
> to do it).
>
> Thanks for the soapbox, I had my say (please forward this to whoever
> makes these program installation choices, if he's not a big geek that
> is).
>
> Sorry for the bandwith waste, had to get this off my chest. Anyone else
> feel like I do about this?

You don't like vi? OK. It's your choice (thrust me, it's not mine! I
love this editor!). But if you are too subjective and lazy to realize that
it is one of the most powerfull text based editor available, then I think
that your default editor should be ... Notepad.

--
      << There's no place like ~ ! >>

Jean-Philippe Gois
 e-systems - information technology