> What are the programs that use this environment variable? I just typed
> `echo $EDITOR` at a prompt and received nothing. I haven't modified any
> of the system wide profile files or my own .bashrc file since
> installation, neither have I received any warnings that the env
> variable isn't set.

...right, and hasn't this whole conversation been about what's default?  :)
When it's unset, vi is used by any sane program that needs something to fall
back to, because it's almost guaranteed to be on every UNIX system in
existence.  Whether you like it or not, vi is the default *because it is
default to most every UNIX variant*.  :)  It's ubiquitous.  It's everywhere.

--
Ben Reed ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://defiance.dyndns.org/