On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, you wrote:

> Perhaps.  It's an old Vanilla Pentium system, clocking in around 166 or
> 200 Mhz.

Probably 72-pin simms.

> I'll make sure there are no FTP daemons running.  Forgot about that.
> Anyway, though, I was thinking more along the lines of "What do you do on
> your own system?"

Well, since I'm using this as a desktop O/S and not a
server, I have everything in /etc/inetd.conf disabled.

Here's what I have ENABLED in "setup -> System Services":
atd
autofs
crond
gpm
identd
inet
ipchains
jumkbuster (added -- does not come with any install that
        I'm aware of)
keytable
kudzu (I'm using RH 6.2 here at home and work.)
network
pcmcia (my boss thinks it helps pci, and it doesn't hurt
        and if there's a CHANCE it'll help... <G>)
random
reconfig
sshd2 (the binary includes ssh1 for backwards compatibility
        -- if you get open ssh make sure it is backwards
        compatible!)
syslog
xfs

> Good thinking.  Right now he's stuck using a garbage
> Trident-3DImage975-Based Jaton Blaze3D.  Mandrake is the only system that
> actually installs (other than Windoze).

Yeah. My first experience with linux (as MY desktop) was
with an S3-trio 3D which ONLY Mandrake 5.3 would support
and even then it was something like 320x200 max! :-) Now,
I've got a Graphics Blaster Riva TNT at work and a Voodoo
3/3000 at home. :-)
        John