----- Original Message -----
From: "A V Flinsch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 6:09 PM
Subject: Re: [expert] USB module will not load: Device or resource busy

> On Wed, 06 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> > I am using Mandrake 7.1 on an I-Opener. The OS was initially loaded on
the
> > drive using my main machine and a 2.5>3.5 adapter (the I-Opener has no
> > floppy drive or CD-ROM for those that are not familiar with it) and the
USB
> > ethernet device (pegasus driver) worked fine there, but not in the
I-Opener.
> > I get the following error message: " Loading USB interface
> > /lib/modules/2.2.15-4mdk/usb/usb-ohci.o: init_module: Device or resource
> > busy" then a message that the insmod of that module and that of the
> > usb-interface have failed.
> >
> > Where do I start looking to fix this? lspci shows the USB device and it
has
> > an irq assigned. Could it be that the device settings need to be
> > reconfigured from one machine to the other? Where is this file?
>
> USB modules need to be loaded in a specific order
> usbcore
> usb-ohci OR usb-uhci (depends on your usb controller)
> then usb-specific-devices
>
> First check that usbcore was loaded, or included in the kernel.  The
default
> Mandrake kernels had usb support built as modules.
>
> then load the correct usb driver either uhci, or ohci
>
> then load any specific usb drivers

Thank you Alex. This has gotten me further along. I needed to change
/etc/conf.modules from "usb-ohci" to "usb-uhci".  Now that makes it install
correctly, but the ethernet device is not initialized (nothing else changed
from when it worked in the other machine).

When using the pegasus driver, I get "pegasus.c: party FAIL ffff". I did a
search for this error message and the answer mentioned a kernel version
conflict, but it worked before with the same kernel.

You did great last time. Any more advice?

Hoyt