praedor wrote:

> Lately I have found that my soundcard, an es1371 AudioPCI card,
> doesn't work properly anymore.  I am not sure when it occured but
> when my audio is playing (system sounds) it is interrupted with
> cricket-like noises.  A screechy-static like sound.
>
> Looking at my hardware settings in control-panel (Mandrake 7.2,
> kde-2.0) I see that my soundcard is sharing an IRQ with my ethernet
> card.  Me thinks this is part of the problem.  I would like to change the
> irq assignment of either one or the other but don't know how to go
> about this.  I can't change anything on the soundcard with sounddrake.
> Kudzu won't let me either.  Is there a simple means by which I can
> change the irq or the ethernet card or soundcard?

If both are PCI devices, interrupt assignment is done automatically
by the PCI BIOS from the interupts not reserved in your PC BIOS for
legacy devices or known to be dedicated.  You cannot change
PCI-assigned interupts.

Interrupts serviced through the PCI BIOS are intended to be
transparently sharable where the PCI BIOS has assigned the same
interrupt to two devices.  This works well on most devices, up to and
including TV cards.    The legacy non-PCI-assigned interrupts must be
dedicated, one per device.

You can make your unused interrupt 5 available to the PCI BIOS for
allocation by making sure the machine BIOS does not have 5 assigned
to Legacy.  The PCI BIOS assigned interrupts are documented in the
second BIOS display page.

I hope this helps ...

--
Regards,