Hi Angela,

I'll put my 2 cents in also.  I run linux Mandrake 8.0
I run it at home on a home network with a mix of other
mandrake and one windows machine.  Installation and setup
are terrific.  Everything is recognized and I don't spend
days trying to get sound, printer, or video to work.  It
runs and runs and runs.  They only time I shut down is to
for hardware maintenance.  My home system has users of
various skills and sometimes their lack of knowledge may
mean a workstation has to rebooted, but my main server rolls
right along.

At work I run Mandrake 8 also. A bank of Mandrake servers
handle a much larger network and it includes not only
windows, MACs, linux, and BSD operating systems, but more
than one lan among several buildings.  Most of the users on
this system were originally all windows users, now about
half are running Mandrake and KDE.  Most of our network
people had used FreeBSD and have since switched to Mandrake.

At home on a desktop or in a server situation Mandrake does
an excellant job.

If you are new to linux then you can't do better than run
Mandrake.
Over the years, I've used Slackware, SuSe, Debian, Red Hat,
Turbo Linux, Caldera, Corel, you name it, I'm an OS nut and
have tried them all.  While I loved Debian, it took me ages
to learn to get it setup and do the things I wanted. While
Caldera was easy to install, it left out too much to be
useful and I spent more time than I wanted downloading and
making it have the same functionality that Mandrake came
with out of the box. IMO Red Hat has gone off doing their
own thing and creating problems for themselves and others.

I still have one computer at home that I use to try out
other distributions and operating systems, but I wouldn't
swich my main desktop from Mandrake for anything.

Ron

--
Ron Marriage
Homepage http://www.seidata.com/~marriage/