On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Brandon Caudle wrote:

> [...]

It's not only stability, it's also philosophy of distribution.  i.e.,
FreeBSD has the core of the OS (libc, kernel, standard unix tools) all
maintained in one authoritative spot by the same people.  Also, the
relases occur regularly every 3 months.

One of the biggest benefits in my opinion, though, is how the ports
system, which contains all the 3rd party add-on packages is decoupled from
the main distribution.

So, they are constantly updated.  i.e., you do not have to wait 1-2 years
for the next release of Debian to update some package due to Debian only
releasing packages along w/ the OS.

                                -pete