Nicky Peeters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you're really paranoid you're gonna need to get dirty and fiddle with
> every port/service/package that poses a possible threat.

If you're connected to the internet, its not a question of whether
or not you are paranoid, its are you paranoid ENOUGH!

And I'm only slightly kidding....

I could start on a long thing about how to make a system
secure and such, but instead I'll just give the summary:

        Turn off everything you can.

Hmm.   Well, I suppose thats maybe a bit TOO terse ;-)
So here's a slightly longer version:

On my firewall at home,I've only got a teergrube (i.e. a
'tar pit' in front of postfix), ssh, and (one of these days)
an html server reachable from the outside.  Or, put in
port number terms:  25, 22, and what, 80 for http?  (I
don't have apache installed yet, since I'm only on a
dialup yet...)

Every service (port) you have available to the outside
world needs an awfully good reason to be there, and should
be kept as up-to-date with the security patches as possible....

IMHO, anyway ;-)

rc

Rusty E. Carruth       Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice: (480) 345-3621  SnailMail: Schlumberger ATE                   ___
FAX:   (480) 345-8793             7855 S. River Parkway, Suite 116   \e/
Ham: N7IKQ @ 146.82+,pl 162.2     Tempe, AZ 85284-1825                V
ICBM: 33 20' 44"N   111 53' 47"W  http://tuxedo.org/~esr/ecsl/index.html