> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:16:45 GMT
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Larry:
> >
> > The fstab file looks okay (to me at least).  However, even though the CD is
> > working fine (under Windows and the CD was used to install Mdk 8.1) it
currently
> > doesn't work under Mdk.  Here are the contents of the /etc/fstab file:
> >
> > /dev/hda4 / reiserfs noatime,notail 1 1
> > /dev/hda3 /boot ext2 noatime 1 2
> > none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
> > none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
> > /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-1,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0
> > 0
> > /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto
> > 0 0
> > /dev/fd1 /mnt/floppy2 auto
> > user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
> > /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
> > none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> > /dev/hda2 swap swap defaults 0 0

There
> > > is a symbolic link from /dev/cdrom to hdc, but that doesn't work.
> > >
> > > mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
> > >
> > > .. does not work.  The error message is "mount: special device cdrom does
not
> > > exist"
> > >
> > > mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
>

> If you are trying to mount the drive with either of the above commands then
> that is why it will not work.
>
> 8.1 uses devfs the correct command is mount /mnt/cdrom
> To unmount either umount /mnt/cdrom or eject /mnt/cdrom

First, thank you for the suggestion.  I tried it and, well, that didn't work
either.

mount /mnt/cdrom

.. simply made the terminal session hang.  No actual mount.  Incidentally, I go
the same behavior when I used the desktop icons for the CD-ROM.

umount don't work (as you might expect, because it doesn't think anything was
mounted.  However, eject didn't work either (which is a tad more worrisome).

Any other ideas?

Ron