[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 Larry:

 The fstab file looks okay (to me at least).  However, even though the
CD is
 working fine (under Windows and the CD was used to install Mdk 8.1) it
currently
 doesn't work under Mdk.  Here are the contents of the /etc/fstab file:

 /dev/hda4 / reiserfs noatime,notail 1 1
 /dev/hda3 /boot ext2 noatime 1 2
 none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
 none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-1,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0
 0
 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto
 0 0
 /dev/fd1 /mnt/floppy2 auto
 user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
 /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
 none /proc proc defaults 0 0
 /dev/hda2 swap swap defaults 0 0

The problem that I'm getting is that /dev/cdrom will not allow a mount.
There
is a symbolic link from /dev/cdrom to hdc, but that doesn't work.
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
.. does not work.  The error message is "mount: special device cdrom
does not
exist"

mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom

.. does not work.  Instead, the terminal session hangs and <Ctrl-C> does
not
break it.

Here is the setup in /dev (commands are run as root):

ls -l cdrom
lr-xr-xr-x 1 root       root    cdrom -> ../cdroms/cdrom0

> > >ls -l hdc
> > lr-xr-xr-x 1 root       root    hcd -> ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^
Ron,

Is this a typo or the exact info displayed when you issue the command
"ls -l hdc"
If I'm not mistaken it should display,

"lr-xr-xr-x 1 root       root    hdc -> ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd"
                                ^^^^^^^^^

A shot in the dark ............

Larry

--