Hello,

This is a problem I haven't been able to solve.

Hi.  I'm very new to Linux so I bought the 3 CD pack for Mandrake 8.1
expecting the installation to be pretty much trouble free.  Unfortuantely,
after the initial setup/ welcome screen using the boot disk and bootable
CD-ROM, the setup said that it couldn't find an installation CD in the
CD-ROM.  The error message is as follows:
"I can't access a Mandrake-Linux Installation disk in your CDROM Drive".
By looking in the setup log I also saw some of these messages:
<4>ide0: Drive 1 didn't accept speed setting, Oh well
<4>hdb: Status timed-out
<4>hdb: DMA Disabled
<4>hdb: drive not ready for command
<4>isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=3.40, iso_blknum=151339
and other stuff like this

If you guys don't know of any solutions off the top of your heads then I
guess I'll see if we can get it up and runing at the Installfest.  Thanks.

/////////
He has a DFI motherboard with Award BIOS.  bios version is current.

CD rom is primary slave,  HD is primary master

This problem also occurs when using RedHat 7.2 and Mandrake 8.1   We tried
two copies of the installmedia, so the disk wasn't bad.

Demo Linux boots just fine off of the CD-Rom.

/////////

First of all, thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  I built the
computer myself and currently I have Win 98 and Win 2K on two seperate
primary partitions.  Then I used PartitionMagic 5.0 to create a Linux
partition.  Anyway, the CD-ROM is bootable, but since I was having trouble
with just booting off the CD-ROM I tried it again with a bootdisk.  I think
that I'm using the cdrom.img file if that is what you mean by the image file
- the actual CD is from MandrakeSoft.  Also, windows has no trouble booting
from the CD-ROM.  I got an email from Eric Sandall and I asked him what the
situation is with getting rides to the Installfest and what all peripherials
we need to bring.  I can bring my Mandrake 8.1 CD's, but do I need to bring
anything else besides my tower (i.e. monitor, keyboard, mouse)?  Anyway,
thanks for the help.

Travis Chamberlain
Travis Chamberlain