At 12:22 AM 01/06/2002 +0800, you wrote:
>Hi Altoine,
>
>Thanks for your response.
>
>I came from Win.  In Win it is pretty simple to transfer data between Win
>boxes using, Laplink, PCAnywhere, NetMeeting, etc.  I have no idea on
>Linux.  What I expect to learn is ;
>
>1) How to link up 2 Linux boxes or one Linux box and one Win box for data
>transfer ?  Can I use cable to connect the parallel ports of 2 boxes
>instead of via Lan Hub?  Both have network cards installed
AFAIK, you can't (could be wrong).  You'd have much better success going
through the hub.

Basically, you have both boxes connected (via 10baseT cable) to the hub (4
port at least, although that won't give you any room for expansion) through
which they can transfer information to and from one another.  If you plug
the 'uplink' port into a router, or something that has an external internet
connection, you'll also be able to share your internet access.

>2) How to link up 2 workstations, 2 Linux boxes and 2 Win boxes for data
>transfer ?  All of them have netwrok cards installed.

Same as above, except that you'd have to have a larger hub. (8 port)

FYI, as far as 'transferring files via a Lan Hub', that's an incorrect
statement.  All a 'hub' does is provide connectivity between two or more
computers, it does not handle file (or data) transfers.  File (or data)
transfers are handled via some sort of software.  In the case of two Linux
PCs, you could do so via NFS or via scp or sftp or even ftp.  In the case
of a Windows client to a Linux server, you would do so via samba or ftp.
If you had mixed Windows / Linux clients, you'd have both NFS and samba
running or you could use ftp.  If you had a Mac client / Linux server,
you'd be using netatalk (I think that is what it's called, anyways) or even
ftp would work.   Finally, with a mixed Windows / Linux / Mac environment,
you'd be running NFS, samba, and Netatalk or ftp for that matter.
Regardless, if you use any of these 'data transfer' methods, you should
block them from outside use via your firewall.

--
Michael Viron
Registered Linux User #81978