I am running Mandrake 8.1 with updates on an IBM Thinkpad 1412.

I downloaded and built the source rpm for the Mandrake kernel-2.4.17-10mdk.
There were no errors, no apparent problems.  It will not, however, boot.
At bootup, it panics - cannot mount root fs at 01:00.  I have a 2.4.17 kernel
built and running from kernel.org on this same system without problems.  It
boots right up - and I used virtually the same config file to build the
2.4.17-10mdk kernel as I did the basic 2.4.17 kernel.  The only differences
were that I enabled supermount and a few of the grsecurity settings in the
Mandrake kernel which were not available to the basic kernel.org kernel.

I do not believe that any of the grsecurity settings I selected would have
anything to do with the mandrake kernel's inability to mount the root fs.

Anyone get it working?  Anyone know how to get around the panic?

praedor