Uh, I guess I'm now confused...if the mandrake kernel has the patch and the
kernel.org kernel doesn't...and the Mandrake kernel refuses to boot (panics)
but the kernel.org kernel boots up fine, then it would seem that this patch
cannot do anything to help the Mandrake kernel.  The Mandrake is broken in
respect to the initial bootup but the kernel.org kernel works perfectly.

I guess I fear that applying this patch to the kernel.org kernel will "break"
it the way the Mandrake kernel is broken.

praedor